Saturday, September 26, 2009

Twee geloven op één kussen, daar ligt de duivel tussen.

"Where there are two believers kissing, the devil is between them"

Now on page 108. The quote appears at the end of page 107. So far in this chapter, Mak is going all out against religion. While the above quote is a bit much, it makes me wonder how the reaction might to current excesses might evolve. My work experience as an interpreter has taken me to STD clinics, which are uniformly rude. The words they use are all the right ones, but their tone reeks of contempt. I'm surprised that STD sufferers go on in silence, instead of starting a movement. I recall something by Octavio Paz, which said roughly, "Sex used to be forbidden and exciting. Now it's a duty."

Mak's father worked with his church in the 1920s. At one point, he saw a freighter wreck, and there were some deaths. He helped out with the funeral related events, but saw a division among those working there. It was becoming professionalized.

This chapter begins with a section on women's rights. Mak's mother was 21 when she voted for the first time. His grandmother was in her 50s.

I have read 2 pages so far. It's very slow going, because it's about religion and other ideas.

2 comments:

  1. "Where there are two believers kissing, the devil is between them."

    I guess I would go all out against that load of nonsense too, and I am religious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a better translation of "Twee geloven op één kussen, daar ligt de duivel tussen." = between two religions on one pillow lies the devil
    in this proverb kussen = pillow

    ReplyDelete