Sunday, December 6, 2009

Schiedam

It's unlikely, but it would be great if it happened.

I would like to meet everyone who reads this. I was wondering where we should get together. Then it hit me: The place to meet at the end of the blog is where the book begins. Schiedam, the area once known as Zwart Nazareth, would be the place to meet. The book doesn't give any addresses, but I suspect that in 1899, the Mak's lived somewhere around the old Dutch Reformed cathedral, near the water.

From what I saw of Street View, there isn't much of the old days there. It looks very Euro suburban, the type of place that's been torn down and rebuilt 6 times in recent years. Still, it's the place where the book starts.

It would be great to get everyone into a small cafe and talk about what they thought. I would like to hear about what I read correctly and what I got wrong. After lunch, we could walk down to the shore and look at the ships coming and going.

No comments:

Post a Comment