Thursday, October 22, 2009

Colonies

For whatever reason, I have always been fascinated by the colonial experience. I have met many ex colonists from the old British and Portuguese posessions in Africa. While a volunteer for the police interpreters, I knew a guy who had been rich in the Dutch East Indies. One parent was from the colony, the other from the mother country. Before decolonization, he thought he would never have to work.

Anyway, Chapter 5 has a lot of background about the situation in colonial Indonesia. It was far from idyllic, with plenty of uprisings and fighting.

So far, I have run across two other books about it. For whatever reason, I would really like to read Max Havelaar but not Rubber. It's just as well, because Max has is over 100 years old and is available as a full view book on line.

I have looked Max over, and I could recognize archaic spellings, "y" instead of "ij" for example, which seems easier.

The next post will come up in a week. I'm going to an interpreter's conference in Albuquerque. After that, I have a translation to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment